Saturday, June 13, 2009

Facebook

There are a number of popular “social networking” websites on the internet. I have read that Facebook is now the largest, after having overtaken MySpace early in 2009.

I enjoy Facebook mostly because it does not try to only attract one very young, ignorant, and supposedly “hip” age group. Lots of teenagers apparently use Facebook, as do many middle aged people in their 30’s and 40’s. What I find intriguing is that there are also an increasing number of old geezers in their 50s and 60s who are very computer literate and feel just as comfortable using the internet as any 20 year old does. I see some of these old farts in Starbucks with their laptops taking advantage of the free wifi internet.

I have friends all over the world who I have met in person and who I know really well on a personal basis that I keep up with via the internet. Some of them have their own website or blog, and others use Facebook or maybe even just email.

Like my retired doctor friend in the south of England who has a fascinating blog, my American friend who has now retired to Venice, Italy who uses Facebook, my good friend in Belgium who is the European representative for the fluorescent minerals society and has a great website, and many friends who live in France, Holland, Germany, Canada, and all over America.

When someone who you have known for 30 or more years sends you a message via Facebook asking to become your Facebook friend, for you to not approve their request is a serious form of bridge burning. I think I have only said no to one Facebook friend request, and this was some weird person who I really had never even heard of.

My sister has not responded to my request to be her Facebook friend, but she is retired and sometimes goes weeks without opening her emails. So I don’t view this as a slap in the face, just simple inefficiency. There is only one other person who I have asked to be my Facebook friend who has not responded favorably. I won’t mention any names, but you know who you are. Use caution. This sort of a put-down is serious stuff to a grumpy old bastard.

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-