Sunday, June 07, 2009

Digital Photo Editing Software



I first began using the digital photo editing software called Photoshop about 15 years ago. For years I used the expensive full-blown version of it. Back when I first started version 4.0 was the latest available. Over the years I upgraded to ver. 5.0, then ver. 5.5, and the last full version I used was Photoshop 6.0.

I once read a piece by a guy who taught classes in using Photoshop. He was of the opinion that for most people the much less expensive software called Photoshop Elements (PSE) worked just fine. I completely agree with him.

Granted PSE won’t deal with CMYK, it won’t do an HDR for you, it won’t help you stitch together a panorama which is not just wide but is also tall, and it doesn’t have a curves slider. But in the situations where I need those features I have software which will do these things like Photomatix Pro, GigaPan, and Nikon’s View NX and Capture NX.
-
For 99% of one’s normal use in photo editing, even where you are shooting Raw with a 14 bit depth, PSE 7 does a great job. If you are familiar with another version of Photoshop you will find that PSE is similar and very easy to get used to.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-