Sunday, May 24, 2009

You Can Choose Your Friends But You Can't Choose Your Family


This morning I was searching through my archive photographs and I saw a picture of an old family member, Colonel Addison S. Garland CSA who was born in 1846. The civil war ran from 1861-1865, making him a Colonel when he was only 15 to 20 years old. He must have been one tough, interesting guy.

He was the younger brother of my direct ancestor Colonel Joseph Parker Garland CSA, who was the father of Joseph Percivil (Percy) Garland. J.P. Garland was my grandfather. I remember the day he died in El Paso, Texas. J.P. Garland was the father of Benjamin Hadley Garland, my father, who also died in El Paso, Texas. Both are buried in Restlawn Cemetery on Dyer Street in El Paso.
-
B.H. Garland was the father of Sharlene Jan Garland Cannon, Hadley Paul Garland, and Michael Dwight Garland. Mike died in his early 40's and is also buried in Restlawn in El Paso.
-
Jan and Paul are now both in their 60's and are residing in El Paso, Texas as of 2009.

This is a link to some information on these people that I got from google: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cresap/descendants/names8.htm

Both of these men pictured lived in the 1800’s, and both served as Colonels in the rebellious army of the Confederacy during the American Civil War. I hope that this was just because of the part of the country they were living in, rather than some innate desire on their part to continue slavery or discrimination against people of color.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-