Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Fertility Issues

I was “on the road again” yesterday, so I was listening to FM radio. On NPR I heard a long analysis of the various techniques being used to help couples who have fertility problems.

In the course of the discussion I became aware that it is currently possible and actually very feasible for a young woman to sell her fertilized eggs (embryos), maybe even for as much as $50,000- each. What an innovative way to help finance your college education.

It got me to thinking. Apparently this is viewed by society as a perfectly alright way to help out people who have fertility issues. But if the same lady carries the embryo inside of her for 9 months and then just moments after she gives birth sells the kid for $50,000- she is a horrible person and a criminal. But what if she sold the embroy and then got paid an additional $50,000- to be a surrogate and carry the embryo to term?

This young woman would not be allowed to sell one of her kidneys or a lung for $50,000-, but she can sell her eggs, fertilized or not.

I am inclined to think that a woman should be allowed to give away free of charge her embryos to help someone out, but that it is inappropriate for her to be allowed to sell embryos. The same goes with blood, plasma, or sperm. But that is just my opinion.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-