Thursday, August 07, 2008

2008 Summer Olympics

-
For many years I lived in the Netherlands, and I was intimately involved with dressage. Much of my free time was spent at dressage events or at the stables. I owned two dressage horses.

The Dutch dressage team at the 2008 Olympic summer games has three members. Under the rules this year each country is only allowed three riders.

Of the three members on the Dutch team, I know two. I have been to Anky van Grunsven’s house. She won Olympic gold medals in 2000 on Bonfire and also won the gold medal for dressage again in 2004. When she brought out her line of equestrian clothing she told me that her boyfriend (now husband) Sjef Janssen looked sexy in one of her top of the line jackets, and that it would look good on me too. It goes without saying that I didn’t hesitate…I still like that jacket.

Imke Schellekens-Bartels is the daughter of Tineke Bartles. I know Imke, her mother, and her father Joep well. They are really nice people. I guess I’ve been to their house 5 or 6 times, maybe more. Imke competed in the summer games in Greece in 2004.

I’ve seen two of the German Olympic competitors ride many times as well. Isabell Werth and Nadine Capellmann are both great riders. Isabell and Tineke have been competitors for years. Isabell took a few years off to finish her law degree, now she is back riding competitively.

Of the three American riders I have only seen one of them ride. Steffen Peters is originally from Germany and now is on the American team. I have had the pleasure of watching him ride many times. He is also a first class rider.

Dressage is an equestrian sport that is really targeted at a narrow market. I find it elegant and beautiful.
-
I guess it is kind of strange, but even though I have moved back to America now after living in Europe for 15 years, I still am rooting for my old friends on the Dutch team!
-
This is a YouTube video of Imke on Sunrise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5r-nB4yuiU
-
LINK: http://www.cleveland.com/olympics/index.ssf/2008/08/netherlands_anky_van_grunsven.html
-
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
Postscript: Isabel Werth won the individual dressage. Wonderful ride!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy0dWNBoqA0
0-
-



-
-
--
-
-
-
-