Friday, April 04, 2008

Telescopically Blown Away

-
I just spent the most wonderful evening.
-
My 8 inch Dobsonian reflector came in yesterday. I assembled it and aligned the mirrors with a laser collimator yesterday. Unfortunately it was windy and overcast last night. Today I adjusted the 8x50 finder scope so that it was aligned with the main telescope. The telescope has a 2 inch eyepiece and a Crayford focuser that works super.
-
I just can’t believe how great this telescope is. At about 9:00 p.m. I pointed it at the nebula in Orion and got a fantastic show. Good heavens, there it was, just like you see in the professional photographs or those made by the Hubbell telescope. And through the haze and light pollution made by 2 million people too.
-
After I marveled at the nebula in Orion for 5 or 10 minutes I moved the telescope a few feet (to be out of the light from the streetlight directly in front of my house) and pointed it at the planet Saturn. Once again I was not disappointed at all. Unbelievable show! I only got one 2 inch eyepiece with the telescope which has a really wide field of view. In a few days I should get a kit with several eyepieces, two of which provide more magnification, and some filters. This evening I could almost pick out the different rings in Saturn, but not quite. Maybe with light filters and a bit more magnification.
-
So after I had marveled at Saturn for 10 or 15 minutes I turned the telescope North towards the big dipper, Ursa Major. Looking at the handle, the next to the last star is the double one Mizar. Completely clear. One big one and one small one.
-
Gosh I am just blown away. And this is the first time out with the telescope.
-
-
-
-