Monday, April 14, 2008

God Bless America

-
A friend sent me by e-mail a neat video of a parachutist unfurling a gigantic American flag. And then they played the national anthem. I got all patriotic and a bit teary eyed.
-
Then after thinking about it a bit I sent him this e-mail in response:
-
-
Dear Bob,

That was amazing. And I am patriotic. I did my time honorably in the U.S. Army. Gonna be buried at Ft. Bliss national cemetery. Tend to get a little teary eyed saluting the flag.

But its a bunch of shit. We are pledging allegiance to an idealized version of the USA. The real life George Bush USA ignores and abuses basic civil rights.

In America right now the rich mutha fuckers keep paying lower and lower taxes, the poor folks don't have reasonable opportunities for securing decent jobs, and hard working fuckers in their 50's are routinely cast aside like dog shit.

So many other countries provide all of their citizens with basic human needs like universal health care. Even fucking France for heavens sake....

Sometimes it makes me absolutely ashamed to be an American.


Pablo

-
-
-
-
-
-