Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Amorality

-
I was reading in the British press about a lady who was testifying in court. She described the accused person as being completely amoral.

It made me look up the exact definition of the word “amoral.” It is important to differentiate between being amoral and being immoral. The former simply does not recognize traditional rules of right and wrong. The later understands that certain behaviors are wrong, but goes ahead and does them anyway.

It made me think about the phrase, “You can choose your friends but you can’t choose your family.” I think it might be appropriate to expand this to, “You can choose your friends, but you can’t choose your colleagues.”

I have had a few friends over the last half century who sometimes were a bit immoral. Driving while intoxicated, cheating on their taxes, having sex with people who were already married to someone else, etc.

In addition I have had the misfortune to know a few people who I would classify as amoral. They just didn’t think that these traditional rules had anything to do with them. It wasn’t that they did things they realized were improper, they were so self-centered and arrogant that they felt they were far beyond these rules of behavior.

I can think of at least four people without any difficulty who would qualify as amoral. All were people who I was forced to associate with because of my job. I guess that if there is any grain of truth at all in Christianity they will eventually pay for their hateful behavior. If not in this life, then in the next. After watching these people for years I find that the common man is smarter than he is given credit for. These men have become very wealthy financially, but they no longer get any respect from the communities they live and work in. And over the years it is clear to me that their self-respect has also horribly diminished. Despite all superficial appearances of happiness, they are miserable in this life. Alcoholism, addiction to mood enhancing drugs, divorce, etc.

It seems clear to me that the same sorts of behaviors that will get one into heaven will also make one’s time spent in this little one act play happy as well. So try to live by the ten commandments. It doesn’t matter one bit if Christianity is a fairytale and a bunch of hogwash, or if it is literally true. The exact same rules of morality will make you happy now and also get you into heaven at the end of the chapter.
-
-
-
-
-