Sunday, December 02, 2007

Morning Walk With The Doggie


- (click on the pictures and they will enlarge)

The weather was absolutely beautiful this morning when Inu and I went out in the desert for our morning walk.

-

According to my new wrist mounted Garmin Forerunner 205 GPS we went 1.15 miles (1,85 km).

-

There wasn't a cloud in the sky, there was a nice light breeze blowing, and the temperature was 58 degrees F (14 C).

-

The Garmin Forerunner GPS is a really amazing piece of technology. I had a Seiko watch GPS 3 or 4 years ago and it was a real dog. Garmin has got it right for sure! The price from Amazon.com is about $160- and it has all the features I want and then some.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Wrist-Mounted-Fitness-Computer/dp/B000CSQJ8C/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196625763&sr=8-1

-
The Garmin wristwatch GPS has a high sensitivity receiver, and this means that even here in the house I pick up the satellite signals just fine. This is amazing. The satellites are transmitting with less power than a 60 watt light bulb, and the closest they are when directly overhead is 12,000 miles. The waypoints in this GPS interface just fine with the standard Garmin software, so I can move them over to my other GPSs or into Google Earth.

-

While I was walking around in the sand hills and Inu was chasing rabbits, I heard an airplane climing out of West Texas airport (N 31.71923, W -106.23995).

-

It was a tow plane pulling a glider aloft. This is the picture I was able to get of them from my little Sony pocket point and shoot.

-