Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Asshole From El Paso

-

I heard on national public radio yesterday that El Paso has the distinction of having the most folks who do not have health insurance of any city in the USA. I don't know if this is in absolute numbers or on a percentage basis. Either way I regard this as exceptional. So my home town is at the very top of the list of the 50 million people in America who don't have access to the health care system.
-
How bout dat George W.? You grew up nearby in Midland, Texas but you don't give a damn do you? Just like your attitude to poor kids...screw them if they can't afford health insurance. Sanctimonious, that's what you are. Wrapping yourself in the flag and God. Golly, you are so evil you give me the creeeeeps.
-
I read in the local newspaper that Kinky Friedman will be signing his new book at a bookstore here in town. The name seemed familiar, so I looked him up in wikipedia. Now I remember; my jewish colleague when I was living in Europe used to refer to the Asshole From El Paso by the jewish musician Kinky Friedman. I had never heard of him or heard the song, but the title of the song seemed about right, so I thought this was a little funny.
-
LINK: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinky_Friedman
--
-
(click on this notice from the newspaper and it should enlarge enough to be readable)
-



-
Now from wikipedia I find out that Kinky Friedman graduated from Austin High School and UTEP just like me. His degree is in philosophy (like a close friend of mine) whereas I got mine in Political Science. Kinky got his nickname in reference to the appearance of his hair.
-
OOPS! I just re-read the wikipedia article. He went to Austin High in Austin, Texas and the University of Texas at Austin. Oh well, close anyway.
-
Sounds like an interesting guy. So I just ordered his "best of" CD from Amazon, which does contain the song Asshole From El Paso and the book too.
-
And as soon as I get done with this blog entry I'm going to enter into my agenda the book signing. Should be fun!


-