Saturday, September 22, 2007

New Mexico USA

-
I drove about 700 kilometers (400 miles) yesterday. The dog and I went up to a history event at the old Army Fort near Silver City, New Mexico USA.

Each time we go up that way we stop near Hurley, New Mexico. There is a little dirt road there near to the airport. The dog and I get out and take a little walk.

It is pretty rare to see snakes, and normally I leave them alone. They have an important niche in the ecosystem, and I have found that normally if you will just try to avoid them they are happy. The last thing they want to do is get in a fight with a large animal like a human.

But yesterday my little doggie was just a wee bit too interested in the rattlesnake for comfort. He is a hunter, and he loves to go after rodents and lizards. So I “humanely uthanised” the snake. This is how some people describe killing or murdering. My 38 Special is really quite loud, and that certainly got Inu’s attention. Then I acted very frightened of the snake to try and teach him that snakes are dangerous and should be avoided. I have cropped away the snake's head because it was basically decapitated after I shot it.
4
After we went to the history event about Buffalo Soldiers at Fort Bayard, I asked the GPS lady to take me to the nearest gun shop. She found one about 2 kilometers away. It is just a little hole in the wall that really had a first class selection of ammunition and of guns. I needed to buy some shells to refill my pistol.

The guy had a WWII Russian Rifle with a bayonet attached which was operable for less than $200-. I did not buy it, but that sure is a cheap price.

He had this cute picture of a nice old lady up on the wall. Sure seems like my kind of woman. In fact that expression on her face reminds me of a couple of my ex-wives.

Afterwards we drove over to Lordsburg and then to the ghost town at Shakespeare, New Mexico.
-
Shakespeare is OK, but really there just is not much to see. I prefer some other ghost towns where you can wander around completely unattended. I would not drive very far out of my way to see this ghost town.
-
-
-