Thursday, May 24, 2007

National Seatbelt Awareness Week


I see from NPR that President Bush is still up to his "Do as I say, not as I do" routine.
-
One time I flew into the little airport at Hatch to visit Loyad Anderson. At the time he was the largest grower of green chile in New Mexico. We toured the fields for several hours in his pickup truck. When we were done and it was time to return, I flooded the fuel injected engine on that little Piper airplane. I almost ran the battery down getting the engine started.
-
I was so delighted when it finally started up that I just flew right away. I flew all the way back to El Paso and was on a short final to runway 22 at El Paso when I realized that I had neglected to put on my seat belt.
-
It sort of freaked me out. I thought that if I could forget this, then maybe I could forget something really important. From that day on I stopped being stupid and obstinate about the seatbelt issue. Now I always buckle up in the car.
-
Always. Its really no big deal. It doesn't cost anything, and it might save your life. Just about the best insurance you can get, and its free.
-

-
-