Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Diana Gabaldon Outlander Series

-
-

Like the Hobbit and Tolkien's Trilogy, these really special books by Diana Gabaldon should be re-read.
-
I first read one of these books when I was turned on to it by my ex-wife. I enjoyed it, but did not read the series.
-
Almost exactly one year ago (on 19 April 2006) I was still living in Europe. I was visiting the grave sites of our Scottish ancestors, and on the way back down south I stopped in at Stirling Castle.
-
I was really delighted to find one of Diana Gabaldon's books in the gift shop.
http://paulgarland.blogspot.com/2006/04/stirling-castle-scotland.html

For the past year I have carried one of her books with me almost every place I have gone. I intentionally have been dragging it out because Claire, Jaime, and the others have become sort of like secret friends. So I use these books as a wonderful escape.

On 21 April 2007 me and my little black dog Inu were camping up in the mountains near the Gila Wilderness. I finished the 5th book in the series. This only leaves one more which I began today called A Breath of Snow and Ashes.
-
I just noticed that I bought the copy I am reading while I was in Aachen, Germany. So it was published in the UK and has the price printed on the back cover in British Pounds Sterling, and a self adhesive price tag in Euros was put on in Germany.
-
The author says she is going to write at least one more book in this series, maybe two. But at the moment this is the final book.
-
So I guess I will drag out reading this one even more, just reading at it when I am in a really special place (physically or mentally for that matter).


-