Thursday, May 17, 2007

16R - One Six Right


My uncle Joe Sides had a Beachcraft Bonanza. He also owned the airport and the Pontiac dealership in Carlsbad, New Mexico. My mother was sort of a gutsy chick. She was also a private pilot who loved aerobatics.
-
She took me up flying while I was still a baby in arms. Years later when she was an old lady, I took her up flying a little after midnight to see Halley's Comet far away from the light pollution of the city.
-
In 1984 I got my private pilot's license, including the instrument rating and multiengine rating. I've got a little over 2,000 hours logged as pilot in command. Some of it in very real instrument flying conditions. My favorite flying has been low and slow in uncontrolled airspace over the desert.
-
Once my second wife and our kids flew 1.000 km over to California to join a whale watiching expedition. Flying the Piper turbo aero back at night the alternator failed. So I flew from Southern California back to El Paso with the electrical system shut off, using the north star for navigation. My lab science in university was astronomy, so I didn't see this as any big deal. My ex-wife might have a little different take on this flight.
-
I guess it would not be over the top to say that I love aviation.
-
One Six Right is a really enjoyable DVD. It may well be the very best aviation movie ever made.

All pilots and anyone who has ever had any interest in flying should be required by law to see this movie.


-
-
-