Saturday, September 16, 2006

Roman Roof Tiles

-
-

-
-
-
I rode the Vespa over to the airshow in Aachen.
-
After staying there are few hours I left. I decided to see if I could find a farm road a few miles from the airport to get a different view.
-
The Vespa for sure is not a dirt bike.
-
It behaves badly even on dirt roads, you sure wouldn't want to take it off road. So you have to drive carefully.
-
Maybe a mile of two from the Aachen airport I was really very pleasantly surprised to find a patch of Roman roof tiles in the road and in the adjacent farm fields.
-
Once you are familiar with these tiles and have seen them in many different locations, you can pick them out almost immediately by their color.
-
I walked this area extensively for probably an hour or two. The Roman Villa must have been pretty large.
-
Other than lots of roof tile spread over a fairly large area, all I found were a couple of small pottery shards.

Roman Roof Tiles: http://tinyurl.com/fa8nf
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/101/2016/1600/mortar.0.jpg
-

-
-