Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Minor Surgery

-
I had a little bump cut out this morning by the surgeon at the out-patient clinic on the 5th floor of the Heerlen, Netherlands hospital. Everything went fine.
-
The surgeon was a very attractive female in her early 30’s. My lung doctor is also a nice looking young woman. I find that in general women professionals have to be about twice as well qualified as males to hold the same type of good jobs, so I always prefer having a woman doctor treat me. They also have a much better bed side manner. Plus they are just nicer than men! Especially if they are young, attractive, and sharp intellectually.
-
Her helper was a man, probably in his very late 50’s. Gruff and with lots of experience under his belt. A good team.
-
Afterwards they let me see it. I guess it was about the size of a nice big pecan. And white meat. I told her about in my youth in West Texas, castrating beef and eating rocky mountain oysters cooked on an open camp fire. I didn’t tell her that I had lived in South Louisiana long enough among the Cajuns to have developed a certain appreciation for the delicacies of road-kill cuisine. I could imagine this little piece of white meat roasted nicely and covered with BBQ sauce and maybe a little Louisiana Hot Sauce. Honest. Kind of weird, sorry, but true nonetheless.
-
She said unfortunately it would have to go to the pathologist to make sure it was not cancerous.
-
Then I had another interesting experience on the way out. The elevator malfunctioned. So there I was standing in a not-going-anywhere elevator with an older Dutch couple and a young couple. At least there wasn’t any elevator music playing. We waited a few minutes and then finally one of them got on the elevator phone. Within another few minutes the door opened and we were let out.
-
What was I thinking? Well, first I thought, “At least I have my Diana Gabaldon book with me. I’ll just read a while.” Then I thought, “Well from my cell phone I can send out e-mails to my friends and family telling them the funny story about being trapped in a Dutch elevator on my way from surgery to the parking garage.”
-
Now as long as the imunosuppression of the CLL doesn’t result in an infection or anything like that there should be no problems. And I’m feeling real good so I really don’t think there will be any problems at all.
-
-